Friday, April 24, 2009

It's that time of year again to think of the garden and what to plant and all the yard work. I love spring, the warmer weather but not too hot, the occasional rain showers, the flowers, not having to use the air conditioner nor the heater - therefore saving money. Along with all that I love about springs comes all the yard work - I do enjoy mowing the lawn, having a garden (especially when Dann is here to do most of the work in the garden). I hate pulling weeds but love spraying roundup. Dann thinks I go a little too crazy with it and I think gets frustrated with me for using it. I guess that the strawberries are suppose to be replaced after the 2nd year and this patch of strawberries are going on their 4th year so the plan is to take them up and build a couple more boxes to go in their place. The 2nd year was the best year for these strawberries - they were abundant, big and delicious. The plan is to plant a new crop of strawberries in the sand box.

We get some delicious blackberries off of the blackberry bushes - they are just starting to come out of hibernation.
This is garlic & carrots that we have that Dann planted last year some time and made it through the winter.
This box has some onions from last year and today I planted more onions, green peppers, red peppers, anaheim peppers and chili peppers.

The rest of the boxes will have tomatoes, green beans, peas, lettuce, radishes, cucumbers, zuccini, broccoli, cabbage and banana squash (not in a box). We will have herbs of various kinds in among the vegetables. Certain herbs placed with certain vegetables help keep out the bugs, worms and slugs so I thought I would try it and see if it really works. I asked the neighbor Cathy if she wanted to help me with the garden this year and share the harvest. She agreed to do that so I will have some help getting things planted and pulling weeds and picking (I hate picking) . We bought lots of tomatoes - we both want salsa and bottled tomatoes. Wish us luck on growing a garden this year. Dann did such a good job on it last year and we were blessed with a lot of vegetables and fruit to process.
Here are three boxes that have raspberries in them - they are actually doing quite well (knock on wood)






I put some grass seed down this morning and roped off the area to keep the kids out and the dog so hopefully some grass will grow in the bare spots.
Daffodils and Tulips plus a mixture of other things that are hid in the daffodils and can't be seen (can't remember there name)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi terry, did you know that you can pull off the little plants that come off the runners of the big strawberries and plant them for the next year. anyway that is what nan did for our beds of berries... good luck with your garden it sounds great... love robin

Dani and Isaac said...

your flowers are looking fabulous and im sure your garden will be full of awesome veggies!

Rosalee said...

I really love your flowers in the front! I can't wait until I can have my own garden. I'm glad you decided to plant a vegetable garden!